Thursday, March 12, 2009

Cora Hay

Yesterday, Jimmy's sweet grandma, Cora, passed away.


This is the sunset as I drove towards Salina, Kansas, to be with my (in-law) family.
When Jimmy and I were first married, Cora's senior apartments were at the end of our block. We invited her and a friend or two over for lunch one Sunday, and I made some kind of soup or chili type dish. It may have been a bit on the spicy side, and Cora asked if I had anymore corn muffins. Unfortunately, I did not, and with tears in her eyes and a kind smile on her face, she said "Oh, well I would love to take a little more water, then." She must have understood the delicate connection between a new bride and her ability to cook.
She was a very sweet lady who loved her family more than anything. She raised a great son (or 3), who happens to be my father-in-law, Joe, who in turn treated her with great tenderness and honor as he (and Mary) cared for her when she could no longer care for herself.
As grateful as I am for my "regular" family, I am also extremely grateful for my in-laws. I could not have picked a better, more loving bunch to marry into.

2 comments:

  1. Sorry about your grandmother-in-law.

    I like the pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carrie, I will be thinking of you as you grieve for a person who was/is so dear to your heart.(Melissa - SIL)

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts are appreciated!