Friday, June 12, 2009

Cinnamon Rolls and a Round of Comfort

If the title sounds like a snack and a shot of something stronger than Granny's iced tea, I apologize. But I only apologize if you're offended. If you're not offended, I'm not sorry.
Wait. . . I seem to have gotten off track. Please, someone dangle a shiny object in front of me.
SO. . . today I was picking up some homemade cinnamon rolls from my niece, Kaylee. She was my first niece and is now 11! You would think that would make me feel old, but really all it does is make me think "Man, her parents are OLD." It's a coping skill. It's called denial, and I love it.
Anyway, Kaylee told me a few months ago that she was starting her own baking business. Well, I generously decided to put aside my aversion to carbs, sweets, and all things covered in wonderful glazed icing, and support her. I'm a giver, what can I say? She made cookies for a baby shower I had (for a friend, calm down). She made an awesome cake for The Brat's birthday. So awesome that by the time we got around to eating the cake in the evening, there were not many icing flowers left and our tongues were blue, if you know what I mean. (I love saying "if you know what I mean" at really obvious moments, it cracks me up!). And this week, Kaylee emailed me to inform me she was now making cinnamon rolls. So I sacrificed my diet (please don't choke on your coffee, I was on a diet for exactly 7.5 hours) and purchased "some."
The point of this little post is not about Kaylee's awesomeness or her baking goodies, though I could (obviously) go on about both. The point is, when I arrived at the baker's home, where she is the oldest of 5 VERY active girls, I was greeted with hugs, playful punches, hair cut updates, and a general bedlam of chatter (which I LOVE). Then, in the middle of the crowd, I hear "I'm FOUR!. . . I'm FOUR" I look down to see Sarah Grace, the baby of the family, beaming up at me. "I'm FOUR. HOLD ME." Sigh. An aunt's gotta do what an aunt's gotta do.
I tell you, sometimes you just have to sacrifice for the greater good.
Bonus: 57 hugs and updates later, I made my way home with a plate of fabulously wonderful cinnamon rolls. No, you may not have any. Order your own!

4 comments:

  1. The hugs always brighten my day. I also love to hear their cute little voices on the phone telling me about their day. Kids are so precious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. YOU ROCK AUNT Carrie!! I love you!! Love Kaylee whitaker!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww....BTW, we FEEL old, ahem...you are not very much younger than I (oops did I say that?) hehe

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts are appreciated!