Saturday, March 27, 2010

It's a Big, Big House....with lots and lots of room...minus the "big" and "lots"

In a few weeks I will be moving. WHAT?!?
Calm down, seriously, you'll wake Murphy. For the last several months (since October), I have been living with my sister-in-law and her family in Kansas. I have loved 98.56% of every minute of it. I have seen more of my sweet and sassy niece and nephew in the last few months than the first 4 years (and 2.5) of their lives, and I have to say-they are pretty awesome (as are there parents). And as much as Murphy and I have enjoyed it here, I am excited about my new place.
It has exceeded my hopes in every way that a rental can. Does it smell funny? NO! Is it a duplex/apartment too close for comfort with neighbors? NO! Is it over my very optimistic budget? NO! In fact, it is under budget. It is a ridiculously small house, just one bedroom (I know!), and just about 700 square feet. In pristine condition, freshly painted and remodeled. Unfinished basement and huge storage shed for....well, you know-STORAGE. And I am excited about my elf-home challenge. How to fit me (and eventually Jimmy, and hopefully some little Jimmy's and little Carrie's...or at least A little one) and Murphy into a house that is smaller than most apartments AND only has one small closet. Take a moment, will you, and reflect on the ONE. SMALL. CLOSET. Am I revealing my inner-organizational geek when I tell you that the challenge of organizing a home that looks like a home and not a random pile of mops, brooms, winter clothes, and Christmas decorations makes me SUPER excited? Did I stay up way way WAY too late Friday night (after signing the lease) looking through the Ikea catalog and Googling "furniture for small spaces"? ? Yes. I did. I may have to post some of the interesting things I found. The washing machine that mounts on the wall behind your toilet and drains into your tank-GO GREEN to a new level. The bed that rolls up into the book case. The bed that hangs from the ceiling!
Anyway...the point is, I am looking forward to getting back to my own turf. And turf is a funny choice of a word, when you consider the slightly questionable neighborhood that I will (again, but different town) be living in. I look forward to getting back to blogging about all the exciting things in my life. And yes, exciting is an ironic choice of a word...but this is not a vocabulary critique so stop analyzing.
I am looking forward to seeing how long we can last in this house, before we burst through its seams. I am determined, and Jimmy is determined, for us to take advantage of this blessing. I must point out that I am also thankful that there is not a Container Store within a 7 hour drive of this town. . . though I did notice that you can order from the website. . .

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are appreciated!