Thursday, September 17, 2009

You can't always get what you want

I have spent the greater part of my life learning this. And you can whine and kick and scream and manipulate and bargain...but you really CAN'T always get what you want.
However,
Philippians 4:19 "And my God will supply all your needs according to His riches in glory in Christ Jesus."
Things are changing. Or, rather, I am in a position or experiencing the opportunity to make some decisions now that I have not been in for at least two years. If you know me personally or have read this, then you know that my life is not as stable as I would like. In fact, one of the small blessings that I have clung to during the past two years of my separation was the small amount of stability that I experienced. And as much as I clung to everything that I thought would bring or maintain stability, I am now learning the second part of "You can't always get what you want."
As I prepare to move to another state, to change jobs in a very uncertain job market, to postpone school (I KNOW!) for at least one semester, to return to my (epitome of "unstable") marriage. . . stability is what I want. A good job. Steady paycheck. Signed lease. Some kind of written commitment or sign from God that this will end the way I want it to. And so on. Those are the things I want (and also a cherry red Kitchen Aid mixer, but let's keep our priorities ok?). I, not knowing the future, not knowing the plans God has for me or the trials and struggles that lie ahead, not knowing what will be required of me, I haven't got a CLUE what I need.
I have no guarantees about anything. Except for my belief (to my very core) that MY God will supply ALL my needs. . . "
Will my paycheck be as big as I want it? I don't know, God's "glorious riches" are nothing that my tiny little mind can fathom. Will my husband remain dedicated to dealing with his illness and making the changes in his life that will allow us to heal our marriage? NO CLUE! But God's glorious (GLORIOUS!) riches will be there, every second, meeting my every need. Will I finally have some stability, something that resembles a "normal" life, one that doesn't cause awkward silences when you reveal too much "realness" even among your Christian friends? Beats the heck out of me! But you know what? If things continue to be bumpy (as they are sure to be for a while and maybe always a bit because when you're dealing with mental illness and wrecked lives there is a bit of DEBRIS), and I don't find that "stability" that I want, then I must not have needed it. Much like if I go outside tomorrow and my little old minivan hasn't turned into a zippy and stylish little whatever car. . . I must not have NEEDED the zippy little thing (though I would question this when it comes to parallel parking, of course). Does this make sense? I think it did, at one point. . . :)
Anyway, I am moving. To my husband's home town. In preparation for his parole. (awkward pause?). I feel like this is the best place for him and for us right now. His family is so loving and supportive, our church here has always been our "home church" even after years apart, and it is just a lovely small/big town in central Kansas. Pray for us, if you will. Pray that we focus more on God every day, that we are content to have our needs met through His glorious riches rather than by our own selfish wants and agendas. Pray for healing of many broken relationships, for our own broken spirits, and for the faith to fly by the seat of our pants for God rather than settle for stability, if that is what we need.

3 comments:

  1. So out of all your writing, I apologize for the fact that the one thing I am about to write in my comment is...it is totally possible to zip into a parallel parking spot in that nice white mini...I did it many a time in college to get that last or "sweetest" spot in front of my dorm! And if you stay in Missouri, I just might give you lessons...oh yeah, then there's that priority thing...I guess parallel parking can wait.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You take the good, you take the bad, you take them both and there you have ... a true friend. Ack! I don't want you to move! But, I know God's timing is not my timing.

    I'm looking forward to seeing how God continues to work in your life. And, when you graduate, I'll be there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Praying for your transition and excited to hear about your future!

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts are appreciated!