Friday, July 31, 2009

No Bridezillas Here

Matron of honor and my sister Kim, me!, very good friend Deanna (who bought her dress about an hour before the ceremony!), friend from college who married my brother so now she's my sister in law-Kristin.

The theme of our wedding was "simple." If you read my post from last week, you saw that I bought my dress on eBay for 30.00 and so on. . .
For my bridesmaids, I let them pick out their own black dress (so they REALLY COULD wear them again). My sister, Kim, was my matron of honor, and she actually wore a deep purple dress with yellow flowers on it. We were married on October 30, 2004, and had a fall theme, so her dress actually matched.
The flower girls were 4 of my nieces, 3 from the same family. Because I knew that my sister-in-law would be buying matching dresses for their Christmas card just weeks after my wedding, I asked her if she could find something that would work for my wedding as well. I may be able to dig up a picture later, but for now, just know that the little girls wore black velvet dresses and were adorable. Now that I think of it, I can't think of ever seeing a wedding wear the flower girls wore black. NO, we're not GOTH. :)

I made all of the bouquets and boutonnieres myself. I couldn't afford to buy the craft book from Hobby Lobby, so I stood in the aisle and read it for about 20 minutes, then bought my supplies and got to craftin'. My in-laws bought me a bouquet of white roses the morning of our wedding, and they were beautiful. I would have been fine with my homemade silk bouquet, but their gesture really touched me.
For our "re-do" I had a bouquet of fall flowers. My one bridesmaid was my aunt Nellie, and I let her pick out her own outfit. During our premarital counseling, our pastor really emphasized how, though the wedding ceremony should be special, all the hooplah was not a requirement. Since we couldn't afford hooplah, I very much agreed with what he said. I still feel that way, though. Some of the shows on TV now, with huge budget weddings and so much SO MUCH just seem to overlook the real point of the day. And, as for bridezillas....don't even get me started on those gals!
P.S. Our music was meaningful to us, but I won't mention it all here. Instead I will say, I wish I had the guts, creativity and talent to do this. . .


No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are appreciated!