Friday, May 29, 2009

What's in your purse?

The other night, in my communications class, we had to bring some items that represented "us." Kind of a collegiate-level show and tell. Our cohort is small, about 12 people, and it was interesting to me that two women included their pocket (purse-sized) dictionaries. One woman explained that she kept hers in her purse so she could refer to it to make sure she was using a word correctly as needed. The other woman explained that she kept hers in her purse so she could prove to other people (namely, her family) that they were using words incorrectly. I didn't think much about it at the time, other than a quick prayer of thanksgiving that I wasn't in the social circle of the woman who used her dictionary to correct others. Today I was thinking about the oddity of putting entire books in your purse. I am, in theory, a minimalist when it comes to purse packing. I thought to myself, if I was going to carry any book in my purse, it would probably be my Bible. The big question is, would I whip it out to check myself? Or would I use it to prove to someone else all the ways that they were wrong?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are appreciated!